Want to learn how to analyze films? Interested in the backstory on Hollywood? Then join us for a four-week course from the University of Pennsylvania and EdX on the history and art of film making. Attend all sessions for a chance to win an American filmmaking textbook!
HollywoodX: History, Industry, Art is an eight-unit, four week course. In this course you will learn about Hollywood and how it came to be the global film powerhouse of today. We will discuss the complex Hollywood industry and how business and politics translate into the art of film, TV, and new media. This course will chronicle Hollywood’s growth and global reach since the 1920s, looking at:
- How Hollywood has responded to new technologies, such as synchronized sound, color cinematography, TV, home video, computer graphics, and the Internet
- How the global spread of Hollywood since the 1920s changed the film industry
- The relationship between Hollywood and independent film
- Hollywood’s responses to crises in American politics (e.g., the World Wars, the Cold War, 1960s counterculture, and 9/11)
We will look closely at representative studios (Paramount, Disney, Fox, and others) and representative filmmakers (Mary Pickford, Charles Chaplin, Frank Capra, George Lucas, Spike Lee, among many others). Course participants will also explore the impact of media technology on the art and business of Hollywood, tools for analyzing a film, learn about the political role of films in American and world culture, different media careers, and legal changes that have shaped Hollywood. You will also engage with a global community of learners with a wide range of experiences with media.
This online edX course is offered in partnership with University of Pennsylvania. More information about this course can be found here
- This is four-part series held at @america on Saturdays, March 4,11,18 and 25, 10:30 am - 12:30 pm.
- Participants must register with both edX and @america. All participants are advised to pre-register online in order to secure your seat.
- Pre-register for the course with edX here
- Pre-register with @america here
- Registration opens at 10:00 am on all days of the course.
- Priority will be given to those who have pre-registered.
- Participants who pre-register must arrive at least 15 minutes before the start of the program, in order to be guaranteed a seat.
- Participants who arrive 30 minutes after the class starts will not be counted in the attendance.
- Walk-ins will be asked to sign-up and queue and will be allowed to enter at the discretion of @america
@america welcomes visitors on a first-come, first-seated basis as space allows. Due to capacity limits and for your safety, we cannot always admit all guests. Should visitors be unable to enter, we offer our apologies and remind you that our performance center events are live streamed at www.atamerica.or.id/video.